What makes a dentist qualified to treat kids in Houston?
In order to become a certified dentist, there is a lot of study, exams, and processes to go through that prove someone is ready to become a dentist. When it comes to caring for children’s teeth, the standards are even higher.
Requirements to Become a Kids Dentist in Houston
Just to become a regular dentist, there are a lot of requirements in order to receive certification.
Candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s degree before admittance to dental school
- Completion of an accredited American Dental Association four year dental schooling program
- Doctoral degree in either dental medicine (DMD) or dental surgery (DDS)
- Specialization in a particular field, such as orthodontics
- License within the state they wish to operate in
While the dental board does not require a particular subcategory of medical science, dental college candidates usually have their degree in biology, microbiology, chemistry, and anatomy.
In order to become a pediatric dentist, candidates must also have:
- Postgraduate degree acquired through a two year residency program after dental school in accordance with American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry guidelines
- Voluntary certification for a pediatric specialization
Additionally, they will need completion of classes in:
- Behavioral or Social Studies
What Does this Mean for Your Child?
As a parent, much of this information may seem inconsequential to you.
In reality, it shows that a kids dentist in Houston are among the best their craft. To care for children requires a much greater specialization than is required to care for an adult.
As a result, Houston pediatric dentists are extremely knowledgeable regarding care of your child’s teeth and gums. They know how best to prevent cavities, replenish important minerals, and prolong the life of your child’s teeth.
With that knowledge comes the peace of mind that your child is in good hands. Whether your child is there for a simple checkup or an in depth procedure that requires sedation dentistry, pediatric dentists in Houston will always take excellent care of your child.